FBLA performs community service

Photo provided by FBLA

FBLA members cleaned up trash along the bike path as a community service project. In back: sophomore Chelsea Morales and seniors Chelsea Davidson, Mitchell Lane and Matthew Guard. In front: senior Rayne Jerrell, sophomore Avery Henderson and senior Ashton Hall.

Chelsea Morales, FBLA reporter

Every year FBLA tries to do a community service project under the direction of adviser Jon Sanders.  This year they decided on a trash pick-up for a few hours on a Saturday with a meal and meeting at Mackie’s Pizza following the activity.  

The focus was the bike path that cuts through Harrisburg.   The seven FBLA members and advisor walked the length of town on the bike path and picked up about 10 large bags of trash.   Along the way many local citizens commented on the good deed the students were doing.   

One group of roofers working on the H & R Block building offered the students water from their cooler for their efforts.  Once they crossed route 13 the employees at Little Tractor and Equipment did the same.  It showed the students that people recognize positive efforts in the community.   

After the trash pick up the students held a lunch meeting at Mackie’s and discussed the upcoming Southern Area Conference where students compete in various business or computer science events.  This event will be held at SIU January 6

“Saturday was a fun event and I look forward to seeing the students compete in the Southern Area Conference,” Sanders said. “It is nice to see the students dressed in business attire and representing Harrisburg High School.”

Like most HHS clubs, enrollment is lower than it was prior to COVID-19.   

“Our FBLA numbers are a little down (11 Students) due to COVID,” Sanders said. “We normally have around 20.”  

The following students worked on the project: seniors Chelsea Davidson, Mathew Guard, Ashton Hall, Rayne Jerrell and Mitchell Lane and sophomores Chelsea Morales and Avery Henderson.  

Other FBLA members include freshmen Shirley Lawler, Marshall Miller, Isabella Moss and Levi Woodworth.   

FBLA will also compete in State Competitions in April with hopes of having a few students qualify for nationals in Chicago this year.