The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Girls track sprint into season

Kyleigh Hines
Freshman CeCe Franks pole vaults her way to becoming a conference champion.

Track season is slowly coming to an end. The girls track team has been working hard to maintain their record and keep a strong mindset.

As of May 2, junior shotput and discus thrower Kaylee King and freshman pole vaulter CeCe Franks have been named conference champions in field events. 

King was named in discus and Franks was named in pole vault. Along with these two girls, junior Gabby Shires was named conference champion in the 100m hurdles.

The Lady Bulldogs are coached by track coach Chuck Ingram.

King scored a personal best of 33’5.5” in shotput April 19. 

“Out of every experience I’ve had this year, I would definitely say my technique has improved the most for both events,” King said.  “My biggest obstacle in track is my consistency. I’ve been very inconsistent and that also takes a toll on my mentality.”

In recent events, King has placed first in discus, along with junior Gabby Shires in the 100LJ and freshman CeCe Franks in PV.

“I’ve been doing track since my eighth-grade year, so I’ve been a participant in the sport for about four years now,” Shires said. At various times, Shires has participated in 4X2 relay, the 4X1 relay, 4X4 relay, 100m hurdles and 300m hurdles. 

Franks has made her way to the 16th spot in the entire US for freshman girls in pole vaulting. Franks has also claimed the number two spot in all grades in class 2A and the number one spot in freshman girls in all classes after her 11’1.75” vault at the SIUC Outdoor HS Invite 2024.

“My biggest obstacle in track is probably staying patient when I don’t always get it right,”  CeCe Franks said.

Girls track will participate in the IHSA Sectional in Salem May 8.