The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Numerous annual events to mark end of 2023-24

Upcoming+events+
Upcoming events

Students and teachers have several different activities and plans for the last few weeks of school and it is a very busy time of year.  

Southern Illinois Society for High School Achievement banquet May 1 at 6 p.m.

“The SISHA banquet is for Illinois State Scholars, and it is being held at SIU,” Principal John Crabb said.

This year’s Illinois State Scholars are seniors Jacob Blimline, Kylan Jerrell, Carter Miles, Mark Miller, Paige Potts, and Jaxon Quisenberry 

Starting this year there is a new event called Amazon Day to be held May 2 .

“Amazon Day is a completely new thing to our district, Crabb said.” I do not have a lot of information about it.  We will get a truckload of overstocked items and students will get to pick through them. 

Sharing that day is the Annual CEO Trade Show held at SIC from 3:30-6:30 p.m.

CEO students share their businesses and sell the products and services they have worked on throughout the year. 

“CEO is a program that HHS participates in,” Crabb said. It is a county-wide program that introduces students to business ideas, and they visit local businesses.  The trade show is where the students showcase the businesses that they have started. 

Prom is May 4.  The theme this year is “A Night Under 1000 Lights”.

”It will be held at Davenport Gymnasium with a promenade starting at 7 p.m.,” Crabb said. “Seeing all of the kids dressed up is definitely my favorite part.  I enjoy seeing them in clothes that they do not typically wear.”

Teachers Appreciation Week is May 6-10. “Teachers have a very difficult job, and we try to show them appreciation every day and not just during teacher appreciation week,” Crabb said. “Mrs. Cox has a full week of food and activities planned for the staff.  I will be cooking for the staff on Friday to end the week.”   

Humanities Night is May 6 in Davenport Gymnasium at 6 p.m.

Humanities Night is an awards ceremony where we recognize individual student achievement in the area of fine arts.  Fine arts include music, drama, speech, and art.  Mrs. (Tina)Mondino, Mrs. (Hannah) Nance, Miss (Emily)Wallace, and myself will present awards for our respective areas that night,” band and theater director Hannah Drake said.    

Good Dogs Day May 8. 

“Good Day day is a day where we normally have talent show class competitions and fun activities to celebrate the end of the year,” student council advisor and organizer Hilary Ford said. 

Senior Honors Night is May 9 at 7 p.m. in Davenport Gym. Seniors and their parents will attend. 

‘Senior Honors night is when the seniors that are receiving scholarships are awarded them, and get recognized,” Crabb said. 

FFA will be holding their annual FFA Banquet May 14 at the Harrisburg High School Cafeteria. “We are going to recognize member achievements and pass out awards for competitions. We will have officer installation. Members will receive Greenhand degree pens and Chapter degree pens. Refreshments will be available after as well,” ag teacher and adviser Travis Butler said. 

Baccalaureate is May 15 at 6:30 p.m in Davenport Gym. 

“Baccalaureate is a ceremony that local churches do in the gym to celebrate our graduates,” Crabb said. The seniors will sit in chairs on the floor, and anyone is welcome to attend. There is usually a message given by one of the local pastors. 

May 17 is graduation practice. Graduation will be May 18 at 4 p.m in Davenport Gym.

“Graduation practice usually takes about an hour.  Seniors will be the only ones receiving grade cards,” Crabb said.

Freshman, sophomores, and juniors will be getting their grade cards on Tuesday, May 28.