The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Art students to exhibit works at art show

Photo Provided by Emily Wallace
Seniors Francesca Messerschmidt, Kimberly Riley and junior Dex Randolph work on their pieces of a collaborative project. Students in Drawing and Painting created two collaborative art works in total. The artworks created were interpretations of Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” and “Irises.”

A group of art students will be attending the Carmi-White County Invitational Art Show April 19.

Seniors Regen Arnett and Lily Siler, juniors Shirley Lawler and Rachel Smock and sophomore Sophia Lin will go on the trip as well as senior Francesca Messerschmidt who will submit artwork without attending the field trip.

Harrisburg will be one of many schools in the region to attend. 

“Harrisburg was invited to attend because we are in the region, and because of our potential to perform well at the competition,” art teacher Emily Wallace said. “(Other) invitees include Mt Vernon Township High School, Marion High School, Eldorado High School, and Gallatin County High School, among others.”

“Priority for this field trip went to seniors, along with art students who also participate in Art Club,” Wallace said.

The contest features seven different media categories into which students can submit work.

“Students can enter their art into Painting, Black & White Drawing, Color Drawing, Photography, Sculpture, Ceramics, and Mixed Media,” Wallace said.

One draw to attending the show is the possibility of winning awards.

“There will be winners in each category, as well as a Best of Show award,” Wallace said.

This show is one of many into which Arnett enters her work.

“I try to enter as many art shows as I can,” Arnett said. “It’s good experience, and it’s nice to see people in your area that like the same thing.”

Another appeal that drew some to enter is having their name be put out there.

“I hope to gain some recognition (at the art show),” Smock said.

Arnett will be entering four paintings and one charcoal portrait.

“I hope they do well, but I don’t expect them to,” Arnett said. “I don’t know who else will be there, so I don’t know if I will do well or not.”

There are other concerns that some students may have due to traveling with their artwork.

“I’m nervous about the ceramic pieces getting broken,” Smock said.

Overall, those attending the trip seem to be in high spirits.

“I’m excited because I always love seeing others’ art. I also love to show my art to others,” Arnett said. 

Wallace has confidence that those entering art will place well at the show.

“It can be discouraging when larger school districts often get more awards,” Wallace said. “I am very confident in the artwork that our students are submitting and hopeful that Harrisburg students will place, and maybe even earn the Best of Show title.”

Seniors Regen Arnett, Lily Siler and Francesca Messerschmidt, juniors Shirley Lawler and Rachel Smock, and sophomore Sophia Lin all selected pieces made during the school year to showcase at the art show. The show had seven different media categories to submit to. (Photo Provided by Emily Wallace.)