The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Softball working to maintain winning record

Sydney DeVous
Senior Mckenzie Boyd practices bunting with Emily Scott in preparation for their upcoming game.

The softball team record is at 7-1, but they’re still pushing themselves in practice in order to be sure of a successful season.

The team also has a new look this season with new uniforms.

I love the new uniforms and I think that our team looks very good in them and they were much needed,” sophomore Hadley Hunt said.

Junior Abby Stacey added that the new uniforms give the team more confidence while they’re playing because they also look good.

Assistant coach Jake Stewart says that the team is distributed over all classes this year. 

“We have three freshmen and three sophomores in the starting lineup,” Stewart said. “ I think our team gets along very well, we do have a lot of younger kids on the roster so it’s important that our kids make sure they’re involved with the younger ones and they help guide them.”

Stewart believes that competition will be stiff this season.

“There are a lot of good teams in our area this season. With being such a young team, we just want to play hard and compete every game,” Stewart said. 

In spite of the diversity, Stacey thinks the team plays well together. 

“I would say that our team’s bond is pretty good already this year,” Stacey said.

Stewart named senior McKenzie Boyd among the team’s leaders.

“Mckenzie Boyd is probably our most vocal leader,” Stewart said. “She is a shortstop, and she is always talking on the field and keeping her teammates engaged. She has the most experience out of anyone on our team so we value her leadership very much.”

Boyd said that her team has a really good bond this year and she thinks that their bond will help them this season.

“My predictions for this new season is that we will do well this season and we are hoping to win a Regional this year,” Boyd said.

Stacey shares Boyd’s confidence. 

“I think this season will be a really good season, we have younger players this year but I think we have a good group that is willing to put in effort to have a solid winning record this year,” Stacey said.