The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Girls soccer team prepares for new season

Riley Mize
Girls soccer practices for upcoming season March 4.

HHS soccer girls have begun  to prepare for their new season. Their goal this year is to adapt to each other’s playing styles in order to play as well as possible as a team.

The girls soccer team is a co-op team with students participating from Galatia and Hardin County. Sophomore Ava Wilson is one member of the team.

“I’ve played soccer for about 13 years,” Wilson said. “My siblings have always played so my parents encouraged me to do it as well.”

Wilson said that  she has stuck with soccer for so long because it’s like a stress reliever for her and when she’s on the field that’s all she can focus on.

Senior Bella Capuzzo began playing a little later than Wilson.

“I’ve been playing soccer for around six years, I decided to play because all of my friends were on the team so I decided to join in middle school,” Capuzzo  said. Capuzzo  added that soccer has benefited her in many ways such as pushing her to be the best of her ability. 

Senior Abby Brimm also sees benefits from being part of the team.

“Soccer has definitely benefited me,” Brimm said. “It’s kept me in shape and given me lots of opportunities to be able to make new friends.” Brimm added that s this season will be her third and she decided to join the team because of her friends. 

There are no coaching changes this year.

“Our coach is Jordan Baxter. She’s been the coach since my freshman year but in total has been coaching soccer for six years,” Capuzzo said. “She’s inspired me to never give up even when I don’t feel like trying anymore; she always keeps pushing me.”

Capuzzo added that Baxter has always been so supportive of her and what she wants to do, inspiring her  to keep going and keep bettering herself.

“Our coach has played in high school and college so she has a lot of experience and knows how to handle things which is a really good benefit for our team. She has inspired me not only to do my best on the field but also to do the best for our team,” Wilson said.

Some positions have already been decided.

“Our main positions are goalie, which Bella Capuzzo plays. Our defenders are (sophomore) Emma Harbison, (junior) Gabby Shires, (senior) Shelby Brantley, and (sophomore) Maggie Hathaway. Our two wingers are Ava WIlson and (Galatia junior) Destinee Justice.Our middle position is (sophomore) Hannah Rorer, and forwards are (junior) Anzlee Ferrell and myself,” Brimm said.

Brimm added that over time teammates learn each other’s playing styles and how to adapt to each other’s styles in order to play smoothly.

There are some teams that the ladies see as challenges. Wilson noted that Murphysboro has a really strong program which especially makes them a tough team to beat.

“Murphysboro is definitely one team that provides the biggest challenge for us which does make them one of our rivals,” Wilson said.