The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Students attend Allied Health Day

Riley Mize
Freshman Eden Douglas and sophomore Kylee Bridewell apply tourniquets to freshman Mackenzie Reeves and Madalyn Poore’s arm before practicing injections at Allied Health Day.

Students from all grades got the opportunity to attend the Allied Health Day at SIC Tuesday, Feb. 27. College and career counselor Emma Lane was the sponsor for this trip.

“Allied health day is a program put on by SIC to give students who are interested in nursing a day to practice different skills and ask questions about the field,” junior Bailee Kingston said. “I plan on applying to SIC’s nursing program after I graduate so I wanted to be able to go on campus and see what their program was all about.” 

Kingston added that this was such an amazing chance to ask questions and to really get a feel of what it is like to be a nursing student.

According to freshman, Eden Douglas students talked about phlebotomy, labor/childbirth, pharmacy technicians, hospital visits, and different types of injections.She attended this trip mainly because she wanted to get an idea of things she would be interested in going into in the future as did most of those who attended. 

“I decided to attend Allied Health Day because I hope to work in the medical field one day and I thought it would be interesting,” sophomore Kylee Bridewell said.  

Most students indicated that they enjoyed the day.

“My favorite part of allied health day was the way SIC  nursing students engaged with the students,” Douglas said.  

Douglas added that they explained everything in a manner that was very easy to understand and that the people were very open minded and pleasant to be around. 

“My favorite part was being able to practice giving injections and being comfortable enough to ask questions,” Kingston said.“I would attend the program again if it had different rotations.” 

Underclassmen seemed to feel that attending again would be to their benefit.

“If I had the chance to attend an Allied Health Day again, I would definitely go. I feel as if I would like to learn more about nursing, specifically pediatric nursing,” Douglas said.