The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Girls track gears up for this season

Senior+Riley+Mize+gets+ready+to+throw+in+the+upcoming+meet+at+Marion+Indoor+Feb.22.+
Senior Riley Mize gets ready to throw in the upcoming meet at Marion Indoor Feb.22.

Chuck Ingram has coached girls track since 1983. Head coach Ingram has coached track, basketball and cross country for the past 50 years at HHS. In the years Ingram has coached his athletes have attained numerous first place awards.

This year there are 30 girls on the track team. Ingram believes having this many athletes on the team is a big advantage.

“Having a big number of students going out for track is a big advantage, and an upgrade from last year because we didn’t have as many as we do this season,” Ingram said. 

Athletes from this year’s team also believe this year will be one of the best seasons that the Lady Bulldogs have had in a couple years. Ingram wants to be able to fill out each event.

“I believe we have a good advantage in numbers this year, along with girls who are wanting to improve,” sophomore Saionna Scaggs said. “ With our girls wanting to get better with things they may be struggling with (myself included), we have the chance to be one of the best teams this year,”

During last year’s season, many of the athletes had to focus on one event rather than being able to improve throughout the season because there were not as many girls participating as they have this year.

“I feel this year’s season will be a big opportunity,” Scaggs said. “ when it comes to improving. For me, I’m hoping to get better in not only my running events but also my throwing and jumping skills.” 

While some athletes on the team have participated in track before this year, many of them are new to the sport. Ingram believes having newer athletes is sometimes better than returning athletes because of mental blocks.  

“This year we have a much larger team, about half and half are new and old track members,” junior Kennedy Weirauch said. “We’re having a strong start so I believe we will become a strong and powerful team by the time we get to Sectionals.” 

Underclassmen who are just trying out, see track as a way to make friends and gain experience. Being a first time track member has its advantages. 

“I’m excited for this year’s season because it could be a fun experience. It’s something new to try that I’ve never done before,” freshmen Ayda Moore said. “I believe I will improve most with my energy because you get used to running. I think some advantages to being a first time team member would be not knowing how this season will go. I’m excited to step out of my comfort zone and make more friends, but also nervous because you really don’t know how it’s going to go until you’ve crossed the finish line.”