The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Ande starts senior season with honors

Senior+Camron+Ande+joined+the+1000+Point+Club+in+the+season+opener+against+the+Hardin+County+Cougars.+
Kennedy Borders
Senior Camron Ande joined the 1000 Point Club in the season opener against the Hardin County Cougars.

Senior Camron Ande has broken several records this season on the basketball court.  He would be what most call a stand out player for the Harrisburg Bulldog basketball team.

Ande recently broke several records while playing ball at the Goreville Tournament Dec. 2. He broke the Harrisburg High School single game school record by scoring 50 points in one game.  He also broke the Goreville tournament single game scoring record, the Goreville tournament scoring record (144), and the Goreville single game three pointers made (10).

“It felt good, but that’s not my main goal,” Ande said. “My goal is winning games and hopefully winning a Regional.”

Of his recent awards, the HHS record has special meaning.

“Breaking the school single game scoring record felt more like an accomplishment because it hasn’t been broken in 52 years,” Ande said. “It also feels more fulfilling because I go to school here.”

In spite of his personal awards, Ande’s philosophy is that of a team player.

“I think about what I can do to help the team get a win,” Ande said. when asked what goes through his mind when he steps on the court.

Ande’s head coach sees him as a hard worker.

“Cam works really hard and holds himself to a very high standard. He puts in countless hours working on his shot and overall game,” head coach Andy Fehrenbacher said.   He is a fierce competitor that wants to do anything he can to help his team win. He carries himself with maturity and respect on the floor and does a good job of keeping his composure. He doesn’t seem to get rattled when things don’t go well and is always looking to get the momentum back in his team’s favor.”

Fehrenbacher also sees Ande as a role model for all of the students on the team.

“Cam cares a lot for the team and his teammates,” Fehrenbacher said. “He is a tremendous scorer and puts a lot of pressure on himself to do everything he can to help his team win. He has earned a number of personal accolades through his career, but I know from many conversations that I have had with him that all he wants is for our team to win and be successful as a group”.

Ande is more than just a talented athlete; he also stays focused on his school work.  He has already started planning for his future.

“I plan on attending Rend Lake College on a scholarship for baseball. I am going to school to become a nurse practitioner,” Ande said.

Basketball, as well as others, has been a lifelong sport for Ande.

“I started playing basketball in fourth  grade. I played at Eldorado all through elementary school and one year of middle school. I then moved to Harrisburg where I have been playing ever since,” Ande said.

Ande never stops training and continues to improve his skills.  He would like to work on a few things while playing basketball this year.

“I need to become a better defender and rebounder,” Ande said. “Ball handling and shooting really help me and prepare me for games.

Ande manages not only to leave a good impact on his career but others at HHS. Junior Owen Rann sees Ande as an impactful teammate.

“Camron is one of the best basketball players that has come through here so him being on the team is a big help not just for his scoring ability but his ability to make plays and rebound,” Rann said. “He is a great teammate to me and everyone on the team. When I’m having trouble making shots he just tells me to keep my confidence and keep shooting.”

Many of Ande’s teammates have looked up to him for years. Rann says he will have a great impact on HHS basketball.

“A lot of young people look up to Cam, so I think even after he graduates, he’ll have a lasting effect on the program for several years,” Rann said.

Post-season hope rank high in the list of things that motivate Ande.

“I am looking forward to winning a Regional and hopefully getting as far as we can,” Ande said.

Ande has had lots of emotions and feelings with this being his last year playing basketball.

“I’m very sad,” Ande said. “ After playing for nine years, it is very sad to know this will be my last year getting to lace them up.”

Like many area students, Ande found young inspiration in attending the Eldorado Holiday Tournament.

“I am from Eldorado and the EHT was like the greatest thing ever. Watching the best players from the surrounding areas really influenced me to want to play,” Ande said.