The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Art Club holds fundraiser for Thanksgiving

Infographic by Emily Wallace.

Art Club is holding monthly workshops where members and outside participants create mini art projects after school. In previous art workshops, students participated in making mixed media bookmarks and carving pumpkins.

This Monday, Nov. 20, Art Club will hold a Thanksgiving Community Fundraiser. The money will be raised through a pumpkin decorating contest with an entry fee of $5 per person. 

“We had one last year, and everyone who participated had a great time and made some adorable and creative pumpkins,” art club sponsor Emily Wallace said.

Students are encouraged to express their creativity through their art. The winning pumpkin last year was a detailed anime character that was made with paper and paint. Other pumpkins included a donut, Donald Duck, and Minecraft creepers.

“This year, there will be a cash prize for first place and prizes for honorary mentions,” Wallace said. “The entry fee is $5 per pumpkin, and you may compete individually or with a team of two people.”

All proceeds for this fundraiser will go to Heaven’s Kitchen and 4 Cs for Thanksgiving. Participating in pumpkin decorating is a chance for students to reveal their artistic abilities and create fun and unique designs with friends.

“I’m super excited to decorate pumpkins,” sophomore Troy Murphey said. “We are going to decorate our pumpkin based on the new FNAF movie.”

The Google form to reserve a pumpkin is online. Decorating will begin at 3 p.m. and awards will be given at 4:45 p.m. 

“Awards from the Halloween pumpkin carving contest will be announced at this event as well,” Wallace said.

Art Club will hold more workshops in the upcoming months, including a ceramics workshop. 

“Workshops are very fun! It’s a good chance to hang out with friends and get to do something fun that you might not get to do,” Senior Whittleigh Trusty said. “I personally loved the bookmark workshop.”

Wallace plans a workshop every month. Students may add requests for future workshops.

“The crocheting one was really neat and we might get to do it again soon,” Trusty said.