The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Nicholes finishes successful golf career

Frankie+Leigh+Nicholes+gets+down+to+watch+her+ball+after+her+swing.+
Jeff Jones
Frankie Leigh Nicholes gets down to watch her ball after her swing.

Senior Frankie Leigh Nicholes has just competed in the IHSA girls state final golf match for the third time. There was no state competition her freshman year due to COVID-19.

During her sophomore year Nicholes went to state, her junior year she placed 18th, and her senior year she placed 16th.  Despite the disadvantages that occurred during her freshman year,  she chose to be optimistic.

“COVID actually helped me out. I had more time to get out and golf during quarantine,” Nicholes said.

Nicholes is coached by her father, Marty Nicholes. He has been her “coach and mentor all her life.”

“My family has always pushed me to be better at golf. Having my dad as the coach is hard at times but overall I really like it.” Nicholes says. This has helped the two of them grow not only as coach and player but between father and daughter. “It has given us such a good relationship, and made our bond so strong,” Nicholes said.

Nicholes has made many friends and long lasting relationships her time playing for HHS.

“She is definitely one of the best teammates I’ve had, I’ve enjoyed all three years I’ve had with her her and I’m so sad it’s over,” junior teammate Laura Behnke said.

For a high school athlete a sport can almost be like a job. Trying to balance athletics and school work can make it hard to stay focused.

“Being in season makes it hard to focus on golf as well as my grades,” Nichole says. Golf is very important to Nicholes but so is maintaining a good academic status. “It’s hard to practice and play everyday and keep my GPA at a 4.0,” Nicholes said.

Nicholes has maintained a good academic career and high school golf career. Nicholes has put herself in a place to have many opportunities to play at collegiate level golf.

“Frankie Leigh is definitely one of the hardest working people I know. She really has such a love for golf and you can tell when it comes to how much she pours into that sport,” Behnke said.

Being able to take this sport past high school level gives Nicholes the chance to meet new people in a new environment.

“I’m most excited to go to college and get to play with new girls and be able to be independent,” Nicholes said. “I’m nervous to leave home so I am not planning on choosing a college too far away but still far enough to experience new things.”

Nicholes has “been playing golf for as long as (she) can remember” and it’s always been a way for her to escape and just focus. Nicholes has put years of hard work and dedication into this sport and it has definitely paid off.

“If I were to tell my younger self something I would tell her to enjoy the journey, even when it gets hard. All the hard work you put in will pay off in the end,” Nicholes said.