The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Homecoming game to match Bulldogs with Marquette Catholic

Bulldogs+run+out+before+the+game+against+Anna-Jonesboro+on+Aug.+25.+
Avery Woolard
Bulldogs run out before the game against Anna-Jonesboro on Aug. 25.

Students and athletes are excited for the upcoming homecoming game. 

The varsity Bulldogs earned their first win of the season against Anna- Jonesboro Friday, Aug. 25. They followed that with a Sept. 1 loss to DuQuoin and a shut-out win against Pinckneyville last weekend. 

The Bulldogs will compete against Marquette Catholic High School for homecoming. Varsity head coach Matt Griffith says he is excited about the game against Alton-Marquette. 

Marquette has a record of 1-2 this year. The Explorers are coached by Eric Dickerson. 

“We have never played them before, however we are just glad we got a team to play us,” Griffith said. “They have a history of having a really good program, along with a good culture in football.”

While the Bulldogs have attained their first win of the season, Griffith said that they have some weak spots that they need to work on to improve their overall team. 

“We need to improve the special teams, along with making our extra points after scoring. We have practiced and conditioned a lot trying to improve this,” Griffith said. (Senior) Trenton Price has done an overall good job at getting everything collected and pushing through the hard points.”                  

The Bulldogs struggled with their offense last year, and Griffith believes that they’ve improved a lot from it. Besides improving their offense they have made some big improvements in being explosive.

“From last year to this year, has definitely been clicking better together and being explosive. Our defense has definitely been in rebuild after losing our seniors last year,” Griffith said. 

Football has become a big part of some athletes’ lives. Senior Karmello Downey said football has taught him many things, how to become a Bulldog.  

“Football has taught me many things, mainly, how to lead, build a family and keep it together. Being a Bulldog means having a second home, here and with the guys,” Downey said. 

During half-time the Marching Bulldogs will be performing. Senior Ali Hankins is completing a second year as one of the drum majors. 

“I feel honored that I get to lead such a successful band,” Hankins said. “I get to spend time with my closest friends. I’m super sad this is my last year leading the bulldogs, but we still have a bunch of exciting things ahead.”

HHS has a background of being a powerful football program. In 2000, the Bulldogs went to the state and won the championship. Downey said he wants to leave a mark like this.

“I want my mark on HHS to be bringing the glory back to Harrisburg, the glory we used to have when teams would fear us when looking at their schedules. Being a senior is ecstatic. You’re a freshman one year, and the next you’re a senior. Time goes by fast. You’ll feel scared, but you’re prepared,” Downey said. 

View Comments (1)