Last day of school creates confusion

Junior+Jolee+Porter+works+on+ceramics+project+

Braxtyn Baugher

Junior Jolee Porter works on ceramics project

Kelee Mills, Staff Writer

The state finally made a decision on when the students’ last day of school will be. 

“The final decision of the students’ attendance is May 27,” Dewar said. 

The date for the final day of school was up in the air this year. 

“The school board had to submit a remote learning plan to the state board of education,” Dewar said.  “We thought that the remote learning days would be actual school days, but the state board said we couldn’t use remote learning days,” Dewar said. 

The students and staff didn’t know if they were getting out May 27 or June 2. Not knowing made it hard for teachers to plan their schedule for their classrooms. 

Prior to the announcement of the last day, first year art teacher Emily Wallace was feeling the stress.

I am stressed about how this affects my classroom plans,” Wallace said. “It does make it more difficult to figure out how to give students enough time for the lessons we are working on or what projects we have time for. If we end up going until June 2, I am sure some students won’t mind having a few extra days to work on their final projects. However, especially when we are dealing with things like the ceramics kiln and art media that needs time to dry, it is important that I know the schedule to make sure everyone’s artworks are going to be completed at the right time.”

More experienced teachers were able to handle the uncertainty a bit easier.

“It won’t affect me much in the class.  I can always come up with another lesson on history. It’s never ending,” history teacher Marj DeNeal said 

Both students and the staff wanted to know when the last day of school was as soon as possible. Prior to the announcement, students were very anxious.

“I wish we would already know what day we are going to be leaving already since the end days are approaching very quickly,” junior Alaina Stone said. 

The state board often takes more time than local districts like to make decisions. 

“Just like many things related to COVID, the state and school districts are struggling with communication. It is unfortunate to take this long, but this is not the first time we have waited on information from the state,” physics and chemistry teacher Janet Hughes said 

The students and staff tried to stay positive when patiently waiting for the final decision. 

“I am trying to stay optimistic and hope for May 27, but I will also be okay with June 2  if that is what the district decides,” English teacher Stephanie Winkler said.