The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Art show expected to paint smiles

Display+of+ceramic+pieces+that+sit+on+art+teacher+Emily+Wallaces+shelf.+
Leah Haugen
Display of ceramic pieces that sit on art teacher Emily Wallace’s shelf.

Every spring, an art show is held displaying students’ artwork from that school year. From paintings to ceramic pieces, art teacher Emily Wallace encourages students to submit their best pieces.
“There is no admission fee. It is free for all. Everybody can come,” Wallace said.
The art show will be held May 13 from 6- 8 p.m. Awards will be announced at 7:45.
“I’ve been doing end-of-the-year art shows since I’ve come to Harrisburg, so 2021. Since then, we’ve had an art show at the end of each semester with a cumulative art show in the spring,” Wallace said.
Art Club president Wilson DeNeal will be submitting his comics from advanced studios.
“I used colored pencils and alcohol markers. After painting all four years of high school, I thought comics would be fun,” DeNeal said.
With his piece, DeNeal used a character design that he made in 2020.
“I wanted to make something that could be drawn by anyone with a simple design, so I made a pumpkin character with three circles and a square. Anyone can draw him. It’s very simple to doodle,” DeNeal said.
Student portraits tend to display their interests and passions.
“I struggled with procrastination while creating the piece. It took me a month to complete,” DeNeal said. “I make art to make my mom (HMS art teacher Sara DeNeal) proud. It keeps me motivated.”
Ceramic pieces are displayed in the art show as well. Senior Jake Blimline is submitting a ceramic hamster to the show.
“I wanted to make something really goofy,” Blimline said.
Baily Cook will be submitting a bust ceramic piece of Ronald McDonald. A photo of her grandmother with the statue is her inspiration.
Art enthusiasts will visit and select three pieces of work to award. There is also an audience’s favorite award where visitors can vote for a piece.
The art show has a variety of pieces, from charcoal drawings to 3D models. Art club members will also be selling art pieces to raise money for the upcoming Chicago trip in the summer.
“My favorite part is getting to see everybody’s projects all prepped and hung, looking all professional,” Wallace said.