Bulldogs take conference championship

The+Bulldog+infield+hands+the+ball+back+to+senior+pitcher+Drew+Hawkins+after+a+throw+down+to+second+base.+

Hilary Ford

The Bulldog infield hands the ball back to senior pitcher Drew Hawkins after a throw down to second base.

Drew Hawkins, Staff Writer

Bulldog baseball has a 24-6 record currently. They are building off  a big season last year when they went to Super Sectionals but lost to the eventual state champions, Freeburg. 

Though the team has had a solid season so far, they are a young team. The team has two freshmen and six sophomores. 

This year’s starting second baseman sophomore Ethan Golish has been settling well. 

“Adjusting to varsity play hasn’t been very difficult,” Golish said. “I got a little bit of time last year with some really good guys to be around and got some time to see how things roll.”

Golish has had no trouble filling the position of last year’s second baseman Javie Beal who was a threat at the plate hitting .586. 

“To try and fill the shoes of Javie is definitely no small task but I’ve been putting in work on and off the field to try and do my best for the team and fill the shoes that have been given to me,” Golish said. “I think within the next couple of years I can fill those shoes completely.”

The reasoning for the team’s solid record is their success at the plate and on the mound. The team has a combined batting average of .338. 

Things have been going well with senior Jackson Pittman who has a batting average of .397. 

“Get up there and stay loose,” said Pittman about his success. “Clearing my mind and focusing on the ball, staying flat and aggressive and listening to Coach Thompson.” 

Pitching this year has been solid as well. The team’s earned run average (ERA) is 2.067. 

“We started the year with very little if any pitching experience,”head coach Jay Thompson said. “We had so many senior pitchers last year that our underclassmen didn’t get a lot of time. Our guys, especially our seniors, worked really hard last summer and this winter and developed into good pitchers. Our senior pitchers have carried us, and I give them all the credit for putting in the work.”

The boys recently won the conference championship with an 11-0 win over the Herrin Tigers.

Their last regular season game is against Goreville May 13.

Regionals are scheduled to start May 16. The Dogs will be going into the Regional as the first seed. All Regional games will be played on Jay Thompson Field.