The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

A Thousand Lights to fill Davenport Gym

Prom will be held in the Davenport Gym, May 4. This year’s theme is “Night of a Thousand Light” and was chosen by the Prom Committee. 

The Prom Committee advisors are English teacher Stephanie Winkler, Spanish teacher Kristen Allen, and Biology teacher Taryn Dewar.

“Prom committee is a group of students that helps the prom sponsors (myself, Mrs. Allen, and Ms. Dewar) make decisions about prom theme, decoration aesthetic, and key tag design,” Winkler said. “They also help the prom sponsors raise money through Bulldog Bucks sales, sell prom tickets in April, and decorate for prom during the week off. It’s a manageable amount of work, but it is still a commitment. On the flip side, it’s also a fun way to have an impact on what prom looks like.”

The Prom committee allows students to spend time with classmates. There are meetings during advisory and contributions the Friday before prom where the Pro Committee will decorate all day and after school. 

“I really do think that students have a lot of fun with it,” Winkler said. “Whether you’re flipping through magazines looking at sample themes or joking with your friends while you blow up a million balloons the day before the dance, it’s a great way to make memories with your peers. It’s also your best way to have your voice heard in regards to what the prom theme is and what decorations the sponsors order.” 

This year, Gin Price of Mirage Event Rentals will be catering a formal prom dinner at ‘The Vines’. This is located in the old Axe and Ale building and will be $20 a person. They have taken time to set up many decorations and revamped the inside of the building and outside patios for available photo opportunities. Only dining guests will be able to take pictures inside and it will be $5 for anyone wanting to take pictures outside of the building. All reservations must be made by May 1, tickets and reservations can be purchased and picked up at Southern Charm.

“The Vines has been open for a while now. Scott Stout has done an amazing job renovating the outside patio area,” Laurie Wheeler, the owner of Southern Charm Gift Shop and Tuxedo Rentals said. 

This is new for Price, and she is hoping for a good outcome of how many students will be attending this dinner. 

“We’ve never done anything like this before but feel positive about the outcome,” Price, host and owner of Mirage Event Rentals said. 

This gives students another in-town option for dinner. There are several benefits to having this restaurant open, like minimizing anyone being late or rushed. 

“The best benefit I believe is not having to leave town and worry about traveling,” Wheeler said. “The food is delicious, as Gin is a wonderful cook and the food is being catered so there will be no waiting or worrying about getting to the next destination on time. Not to mention you cannot beat a  full meal for $20.” 

While many people go out to eat before prom, there will still be snacks and refreshments being served in the cafeteria. There will be water and punch to drink along with some quick snacks to eat. After-prom will be held at Ross Cottom Lanes from 12-2 a.m. Students can bowl, play games, win prizes, and eat pizza.

“Even though I don’t bowl after prom I still have fun,” senior Lexi Walker said. “I like getting to sit and talk to my friends, we use glitter tattoos, eat, and last year I even won a 20-minute massage gift card,” Walker said. 

This prom is the last high school dance for the class of 2024 and it can be very bittersweet for a lot of people. 

“I’m both excited for prom and sad that it is my last one,” Senior Grace Trammel said. “It’s a whirlwind of emotions.”