The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Teachers incorporate Black History Month lessons in February curriculum

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month is recognized every February. It has been recognized in the United States for 54 years. It is also now being recognized in Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

Although it has received official recognition from governments, some African Americans don’t feel they are acknowledged or appreciated enough according to Black History Month 2024: Facts, Theme & Origins. 

“I feel that over the years, Black History Month has been more and more overlooked as the years go by,” junior Shaeyhoni Villasana. “I feel like Black People should be more celebrated.”

According to Carter G. Woodson | NAACP, Dr. Carter G. Woodson is credited with creating what’s now called Black History Month.  Without him and several other known African-Americans the changes in the world today would not have been possible.

“Rosa Parks is my favorite Black History Month Icon, because she stood her ground and didn’t give up her seat on the bus to a white man,” Chloe Milligan said.  

The History Channel states that Rosa Parks helped initiate the civil rights movement in the United States. 

It takes a lot of hard work to make changes to anything.  Changes don’t happen overnight.  That was the case with the Civil Rights Act as well.

I think it took until 1964 for the Civil Rights Act to be passed because there weren’t the right people in the right position to outlaw discrimination,” sophomore Jaquarious Mezo said. 

Young African-American students recognized who they thought were important when talking about Black History Month. 

“African American figures I think that impact our world today are Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, and Rosa Parks, because I feel like these three icons had more of an effect in our world today than any others,” Isaac Milligan said. 

Teachers and students always have different perspectives on situations.  They also have different ideas on what should be talked about in classes and what should be considered as important.  

“I do not focus on Black History Month because I think it is important to include minorities and women in all my chapters throughout the year. Lots of times curriculum doesn’t align with February. Some of my favorite black historical figures to teach are Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, Ida B. Wells, MLK Jr. among others,” history teacher Marjorie DeNeal said. 

The faculty at HHS have different opinions when it comes to teaching Black History.

“During Black History Month, in government classes, it’s a great time to introduce topics that we will cover in greater detail later in the semester such as the Civil War Amendments (13, 14, 15),” government teacher Dan Craig said. “We discuss the impact of the Supreme Court cases – Plessy vs. Ferguson and Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas.  We talk about the Civil Rights Movement, the perseverance of the Little Rock Nine, and civil rights leaders Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks.”

Black History Month is a time of celebration and remembrance of all the trials and successes of the work African -American men and women have gone through. 

English teacher Cathy Wall teaches about some African American writers during February to bring light to Black History Month. 

“Students in my English III class will be studying poetry from the Harlem Renaissance,” Wall said.