The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

Bulldogs to host home playoff game for first time in eight years

Varsity+Bulldogs+line+up+against+Murphysboro+on+Oct.+6.+
Avery Woolard
Varsity Bulldogs line up against Murphysboro on Oct. 6.

With their win over the Carterville Lions last week, the Bulldogs will compete against Peoria Notre Dame (PND) at home this weekend for a chance to advance to the quarter-finals of the IHSA football playoffs.

Though HHS hasn’t hosted a playoff game since 2015 and hasn’t won one since 2012, Matt Griffith, three-year head coach of the varsity Bulldogs, is working hard to prepare the team to change that. 

“We watch film twice a week during lunch for offense and defense to better understand our opponents,” Griffith said. “Football is a team sport where you need all 11 players on the same page to have success.”

Griffith understands the strengths of both teams. 

“Our strengths are our veteran athletes and overall team speed,” Griffith said. “Peoria is a run-heavy team. We have to stop the run game, and we have to have explosive plays and sustain drives on offense.”

PND has an overall record of 6-4, while HHS has an overall record of 7-3. Regardless, Griffith still believes the team is a strong opponent.

“[PND] play a strong schedule, so the record doesn’t show the team well,” Griffith said.

Greg Langley, the assistant football coach and veteran of 34 years of coaching, also recognizes both teams’ strengths.

“Harrisburg demonstrates strength in team speed and improved physical strength this season,” Langley said. “I feel that we are athletic and very focused on continually improving. PND has good team size, and is aggressive and well coached.”

Langley also recognizes the weaknesses of both teams. 

“Our biggest weakness at times is losing focus when things start to go poorly, but it has improved,” Langley said. “[PND] seems to be one dimensional, focusing on running the ball mostly. They do not seem as polished in the passing game.”

Junior Reed Rider believes the Bulldogs are prepped and ready to face PND on Nov. 4.

“The Bulldogs are more than prepared to go up against Peoria Notre Dame,” Rider said. “We have had a fantastic week of practice. Every single player is doing their job, and every single player is having fun. Being able to still practice and play the game of football this late in the season is a privilege.”

Regardless of the outcome, Langley is honored to have such a successful team. 

“[I’m] proud of our players and coaches no matter the outcome Saturday,” Langley said. “These are memories that will stay with them for a lifetime.”