The Purple Clarion

The Student News Site of Harrisburg High School

The Purple Clarion

The Purple Clarion

America living in The Dreamhouse

Photographer+Hilary+Ford+takes+a+Barbie+themed+photo+shoot+with+her+Senior+Ambassadors.+The+Senior+Ambassadors+are+a+group+of+seniors+chosen+to+model+for+her+company.+
Wildflower Photography
Photographer Hilary Ford takes a “Barbie” themed photo shoot with her Senior Ambassadors. The Senior Ambassadors are a group of seniors chosen to model for her company.

The effects that the Barbie movie has had since its release July 21 have changed the world. According to Variety.com, Barbie” has surpassed every other Warner Bros production, becoming the top selling movie of 2023 so far. 

“Barbie” has earned $18.2 million from 12,852 screens in 75 international territories, to push its worldwide gross to a smashing $1.34 billion, according to Boxofficemojo.com.

Barbie and Ken are played by Margrot Robbie and Ryan Gosling. The characters live in this perfect, pink and bubbly world that seems to be having some unusual mishaps. To fix these problems Barbie must go to the real world. Both Barbie and Ken find out that Barbieland and the human world are very different from each other as they find themselves being influenced by it. This is a story of finding your true self, individuality, feminism, mother, and girl hood.

Barbie has always been a role model to women of all ages, letting them know that they don’t have to be restrained by society’s perception of them. Junior Hallie Boggess sees the major message as “empowering women”. 

“Normally women are (seen as) the less important, but in Barbie they were the more important,” Bogess said. 

“Barbie” doesn’t stop there. The movie has also found a way to make an active appearance in social media, and other events, including HHS with activities that use “Barbie” as the theme for spirit weeks, pep club, and photoshoots. 

Not only has Barbie taken over schools but social media as well. With endless memes, Tiktok videos and Ryan Gosling’s song, “I’m Just Ken”, hitting the Billboard Top 100 Hits. 

Mattel, Inc. first released Barbie in 1959 according to Brittanica.com. Athletics secretary Brenda Winters sees “Barbie ” as “just as relevant” as they were when they were released.

“I still have my 1960’s model,” Winters said. 

Barbie has been portrayed as a woman of many different careers, showing girls  that they can become anything they want. According to CNET and Smithsonian, the iconic doll has been everything from an astronaut, released in 1965, to a doctor, released in 1972, to a pilot, released in 1999. Barbie has broken many social norms due to her release dates being so long ago  when women were struggling to find their fit in the workforce. 

The reaction that the people have had to the movie itself shows that Barbie is more than a doll, she is a literal role model, inspiration, and the leader of recent entertainment. 

“It was all real life; I wasn’t expecting that, ” sophomore Thia Moorman said. 

View Comments (1)