Touch of Class performs “Nutcracker” ballet

“The Nutcracker” will be performed this weekend. Tickets are on sale for $18 for the Nov. 17. 18. and 20. It will be performed at the Benton Civics Center.

Francesca Messerschmidt, Staff Writer

Touch of Class dance studio will be performing the ballet “The Nutcracker” for the upcoming holiday season. 

The ballet will feature fifth grader Jade Adams as Clara, senior Ellie Rann as the Sugarplum Fairy, and junior Andra Murphy as the Dewdrop Fairy, along with other Harrisburg students. 

“I am the Snow Queen in the Nutcracker this year,” freshman Ava Wilson said. “It’s a special role to me because my older sister, Olivia, was the Snow Queen in years past.” 

According to the Brittannica “The story of “The Nutcracker is loosely based on the E.T.A Hoffman fantasy story “The Nutcracker. It tells the story of a girl who befriends a nutcracker that comes to life on Christmas Eve and wages a battle against the evil Mouse King.

Touch of Class has not put on the full Nutcracker performance in a few years.

“This is the first time we’ve done The Nutcracker since 2016,” freshman Rosie Robinson said. “I’m very excited to be performing it again.”

This is also the first time “The Nutcracker” will be performed with a live orchestra. 

“This performance is different because we’re dancing to a 25-piece orchestra. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn’t been done in our area,” instructor Melonie Motsinger said. “Dancing to an orchestra is a big deal.”

The dancers are looking forward to their performances.

“Personally, I think things are going great,” Robinson said. “I’ve perfected all my dances and the show really hasn’t been too stressful.” 

Some dancers are struggling with the long practices.

“I would change the long practices,” freshman Laikyn Dooley said. “But they make it perfect.”

While the group is ready to have a perfect run, some are nervous about their roles.

“I’m the lead angel this year, but I’m also the cricket and a bear,” sophomore Sarah Winkleman said. “We’ve never had the role of the cricket before, so I’m kind of nervous being the first.”

Motsinger is ready and excited for the upcoming performances.

“My favorite part about this year’s Nutcracker is the experience for the dancers,” Motsinger said. “I hope our production puts a smile on every face and gets people into the holiday spirit.” 

“The Nutcracker” will be performed at the Benton Civics Center this weekend. 

“The Nutcracker will be shown November 17, 18, and 20. We’ve been working very hard since August, so we’d love for more people to come,” Wilson said.